San Francisco to Vienna
- Parked the car in SFO Park. No self-parking, as the garage was rather full. Forced to valet park.
- Rude staff at Lufthansa/United Airlines check-in desk.
- Stopped at a vendor in international terminal to get sandwiches and 2 bottles of water to keep us hydrated during the long plane ride.
- Sat in a “middle” seat, next to a GIANT man who took up all of his allotted space, and part of mine. I spent 9 hours trying to get comfortable on the plane, but never succeeded.
- After landing in Frankfurt, we realized that Bobbie had lost her wallet while buying the bottled water in SFO. It contained all her credit cards, so we spent all our “spare” time between flights trying to track down the wallet, and put a “stop” on her cards.
- We flew on to Vienna via Lufthansa on a wonderful flight.
Hotel check-in and walking around…
- Our driver, Alex, took us into town and gave us a great verbal introduction to the city.
- Checked into the Vienna Hilton. The room was great.
- Walked around to take a look at things.
Found a wonderful pub called Leupold’s Kupferdachl and drank our first Austrian beers. They were wunderbar! We decided to order dinner as well and ate at the bar. Bobbie had Wiener Schnitzel and I had plaice. It turned out that the Wiener Schnitzel at Leopold’s was to be the very best example of Wiener Schnitzel for the whole trip.
We sat at the corner of the bar, on the right.
The waitresses really do dress in dirndls, like the one in the picture.