San Jose, CA 95125
Management and Marketing Consultant with field sales experience. Background in hardware and software development in wearable technology, wireless payments, semiconductor, security, and factory automation industries. Proven track record in product definition, business strategy, product launch, and managing multiple projects.
- Sales and Marketing roles
- Product strategy, portfolio definition
- Technical documentation
- Messaging and content creation
- Business development — North America, Europe, Asia
San Jose, CA
1992, 2001–2003, 2006 – present
Business services include:
- Technical writing — user’s manuals, datasheets, press releases.
- Roadmaps, market and product requirements documents, strategic marketing plans, engineering documents.
- Promotional campaigns, website development, printed collateral material, and content and message creation.
- Implementation of strategies to develop new business and gain market share.
- Localization and translation.
Clients have included: Cisco Systems, Sensoplex, ViVOtech, Blue Spark Technologies, Global Enterprise Strategy and Implementation (G-ESI), California Eastern Laboratories/NEC, Sony, RAE Systems, Square D Company, individuals in healthcare and entertainment industries, et al.
Project work has included:
- Developing structure of a training program for Android / Bluetooth interface programmers.
- Developed user’s manual, datasheets, specifications, engineering document templates for a startup in the wearable computing industry. Corresponded with Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) to determine best branding strategy to recommend to client for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), aka “Bluetooth Smart” devices.
- Developed point-of-sale terminals using Near Field Communication (NFC) for the mobile payments industry:
- Contributed to roadmap planning cycle. Recommended feature sets and specifications for North American, European, and Chinese markets.
- Insured compliance for: Google Wallet, Visa, MasterCard, Amex, and others.
- Created and maintained Engineering documentation: Engineering Response Documents (ERDs), Product Requirements Documents (PRDs), project timelines and progress charts.
- Published daily blog to provide project status updates.
- Developed comprehensive online product catalog/pricing database.
- As subject matter expert, supported field sales via conference calls and customer meetings to develop new product concepts.
- Product Marketing of optocouplers and solid state relays. Developed technical and promotional materials for American channel partner of Japanese semiconductor device manufacturer.
- Translated German technical documents and partnership contracts into English.
Farpointe Data (acquired by Dorma in 2014)
Inside Sales / Product Manager
Managed Inside Sales, Marcom, Product Management functions with staff for small startup in the physical security industry. Developed website design, messaging, graphics, and technical content. Analyzed, mapped, and documented company’s workflow processes in preparation for company’s acquisition by European DORMA Group. Managed Sales order entry and insured timely delivery of products to customers in North and South America, Europe, Russia, and India. As the company’s first employee, established accounting/IT systems in 2003, and was rehired in 2008.
Cypress Semiconductor, Silicon Light Machines Division (acquired by Dainippon Screen Mfg. Co., Ltd. in 2008)
San Jose, CA
Product Marketing Manager
2005 – 2006
Managed a Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) semiconductor product line of grating light valves used for laser light diffraction in HD displays and photolithographic printing. Developed new silicon and drive electronics in collaboration with customer/project sponsors and internal engineering, legal, finance, and management team. Negotiated terms and conditions with key customers. Drafted contract agreements with customers’ and internal legal staffs and finance managers.
- Presented weekly reports of division’s financial performance at corporate meetings.
- Presented monthly project status updates to Cypress division management.
- Conducted biweekly project review meetings with Japanese and domestic customers.
- Managed project funding, billing, and revenue recognition.
- Commended by customer Dai Nippon Screen for strong relationship-building.
ICOS Vision Systems (now KLA Tencor)
San Jose, CA
Business Development Manager
2004 – 2005
Key contributor to generating sales revenue and repositioning product line from low-margin machine vision component subsystems to higher-margin backend inspection equipment for semiconductor industry.
- Clients: Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, QLogic, Xilinx, Exar, Pantronix, AMCC, Atmel, Jazz Semiconductor, et al.
- Contributed toward receipt of Intel’s 2004 Preferred Quality Supplier Award.
Yamatake (now Azbil)
Santa Clara, CA
Regional Sales Manager
2003 – 2004
Managed US sales territory for Japanese manufacturer of automation components. Directly and with channel partners, developed new markets, including medical and semiconductor, and delivered company’s largest OEM account in hard drives market.
San Jose, CA
1997 – 2001
Managed radio frequency identification (RFID) product portfolio of hardware and user interface software.
- Managed full product lifecycle from inception to obsolescence.
- Evangelist and subject matter expert for product line, working with domestic and international Sales, Training, Marcom departments to support sales and drive revenue.
- Identified applications and customers for new capacitive BiStatix technology.
- Conducted market research via focus groups and customer visits to gather user data.
- Analyzed customer needs and translated into functional requirements for hardware and user interfaces (UI).
- Created MRDs, PRDs, roadmaps, and forecasts for users and OEMs in industries including: consumer, industrial, medical device, transportation, and government.
- Participated in daily project meetings with engineering and manufacturing team members to develop new hardware and software products.
- Patent idea contributor, for novel concept in antenna attachment for RFID tags.
- Trained in M-Gates Core Process Redesign from Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award.
- Authored and published technical documents, training materials, instruction manuals, and collateral for tradeshows and promotional activities.
- Developed launch and promotional campaign plans with internal Marcom and external PR agencies.
- Initiated, collaborated with multiple Motorola organizations to obtain award of $4.1M USPS Surface 2000 supply chain traceability project.
Product Marketing Manager
1993 – 1997
Directed US Sensors Product Marketing for global manufacturer of automation components and systems.
- P&L responsibility for $34M in revenue.
- Increased revenue 37.5% within a two-year period, well ahead of competitors.
- Maintained highest profit margins and profit dollar amount among all U.S. product groups.
- Managed staff of 6 direct report Product Managers.
- Responsible for complete lifecycles of multiple product line portfolio.
- Managed pricing, inventories, and turns ratios.
- Developed promotional programs and materials including catalogs, datasheets, advertising copy, and webpage content in collaboration with internal Marcom team.
- Identified markets, conducted research, prepared market analyses, and generated functional requirements for new product proposals.
- Key presenter in the annual planning meetings in Osaka, Tokyo, and Kyoto for new product development.
- Initiated and negotiated partnership agreements with Accu-Sort Systems (barcode) and Motorola (RFID).
- SME and spokesman for product group. Provided field sales support and trained distributors.
Square D Company (now Schneider Electric)
Product Planning Manager
1989 – 1992
PPM for engineering group in Swindon, England, manufacturing staff in Barcelona, Spain, and Sales & Marketing managers in Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, England, and France.
- Researched markets and created new hardware requirements specifications for Europe and North America.
- Created roadmaps, MRDs, PRDs, and ROI analyses.
- Developed catalogs, spec sheets, and installation guides in English and French.
- Negotiated partnership agreements with Datalogic SpA, Rodenbeck/ICOMatic Sensortechnik GmbH, Pulsotronic GmbH, and Lumberg Connect GmbH.
Chicago, IL and San Jose, CA
1981 – 1989
Field Engineer in Chicago (6 years) and San Jose (2 years) regional sales offices for manufacturer of automation hardware including machine vision, proximity and photoelectric sensors, membrane keypads, Hall effect sensors, and mechanical switches. Worked extensively with channel partners to drive revenue growth and expand markets.
- Selected for special assignment to high-tech FAST (Factory Automation Sales Team).
- Selected for special 6-month assignment to Honeywell Visitronic sales team to sell linear array and matrix array machine vision systems.
- Recipient of multiple awards, including the division’s highest:
- Golden Circuit Club
- Elite Eight Award
- General Manager’s 100% Club
- Producer’s Award (received eight times in eight consecutive quarters.
South Bend, IN and Tulsa, OK
Inside Sales, Outside Sales
1979 – 1981
Two years in Inside and Outside Sales roles working for an electrical distributor. Sold to military, aerospace, industrial, medical, and communications industries. Product lines included: Amphenol, ITT Cannon, and TRW Cinch.
• Led Tulsa Sales Office in military connector promotional effort, and won bonuses for exceeding sales goals.
1977 – 1979
Built wooden cabinets for recreational vehicle manufacturer. Ran router, tablesaw, nail guns.
Fuller-O’Brien Paint Company, Allied Products Corp. (South Bend stamping plant), Feferman Motor Sales
South Bend, IN
Worked part and full -time jobs while in school, and gained early career automotive and industrial factory experience:
- Fuller-O’Brien — Production line worker running paint can-filling machinery.
- Allied Products — Production line worker at stamping operations (in former Studebaker factory). Worked in press room, stamping car fenders, and in paint shop, wrapping fenders for shipment to domestic automotive manufacturers and car dealerships.
- Feferman Motor Sales — Clerk for annual inventories of automotive parts at a Cadillac/Oldsmobile dealer.
University of Notre Dame
Bachelor of Business Administration
Marketing major. Elective studies in advertising, music theory, voice, piano.
14 semester-unit program included coursework in:
- Project Management
- Project Execution and Control
- Project Schedule and Risk Management
- Project Scope and Quality Management
- Project Cost and Procurement Management
- Project Leadership and Building High-Performing Teams
Stanford University, et al.
Continuous education and professional development courses at: Stanford University, MIT, University of Michigan, Caltech, Xerox, Microsoft, Dale Carnegie, et al.
Courses have included:
- Big Data Big Impact — using Data Science to make better business decisions
- Running Profitable Internet Ad Campaigns
- Microsoft Project – Advanced
- Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology — course developed by Intel.
- Cisco Networking CCNA1 and CCNA2
- Projected Cash Flow and Financial Statements Using Excel
- Java programming
- C++ programming
- PHP programming
- RFID Circuit Design
- Advanced RF/Microwave/Wireless circuit design
- B2B Marketing
- Competitive Intelligence
- Xerox Professional Selling Skills I and II
- Dale Carnegie Public Speaking
- Language studies in: French, German, and Japanese
Website creation and content management
- WordPress 4.0
Microsoft Office 2013
- Excel (incl. pivot tables, VLOOKUP, Solver)
Microsoft Office 2010
Adobe Creative Suite CS6
- Premiere Pro
Computer-Aided Design (CAD)
- Autodesk AutoCAD 2014
- Arena BOMControl parts list database
- Intuit QuickBooks Premier Accountant 2011
Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Member, Silicon Valley Chapter. 2009-2014.